End-to-End (E2E) testing is crucial for ensuring the functionality and reliability of web applications. The CodeceptJS Recorder Extension simplifies the creation of E2E test scripts by allowing you to export tests directly from the Chrome DevTools Recorder panel. Follow this step-by-step tutorial to develop E2E tests using the CodeceptJS Recorder Extension.
- Install Node.js: Ensure Node.js is installed on your machine. You can download it from here.
- Initialize a CodeceptJS Project: Create a new CodeceptJS project using the following commands in your terminal:
npx codeceptjs init
- Install CodeceptJS Recorder Extension : Install the CodeceptJS Recorder Extension by:
- Visit https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/codeceptjs-chrome-recorde/jgdcobhagdbipacidhfnoaccgjooebam
- Click add to Chrome
Open Chrome DevTools Recorder: Navigate to your web application in Chrome, right-click, and select “Inspect.” Go to the “Recorder” panel in DevTools.
Interact with Your Application: Use the Recorder to interact with your web application.
Choose Show Code
Choose CodeceptJS from the list
It will automatically generate CodeceptJS test scripts based on your actions.
Copy the generated code into your test file
- Execute Tests: Run the recorded tests using the following command:
npx codeceptjs run
- Review Reports: CodeceptJS will provide detailed reports on test execution, aiding in identifying and addressing any issues.
Congratulations! You have successfully developed and executed E2E tests using the CodeceptJS Recorder Chrome Extension. This streamlined process enhances test development efficiency and ensures the robustness of your web applications.